Boise State University is a metropolitan research university providing leadership in academics, civic engagement, and the arts. Its Student Union Building is the heartbeat of the campus and brings together students, faculty, and community members. The Student Union Fine Arts Gallery is open to the public daily from 6 am to midnight and provides a calm, studious tone to over 600 visitors a day; therefore, your art would take an active role in fostering student and community success through the practice of art.
We are looking to feature 2D and 3D artists in solo shows, group projects, or in guest curated exhibitions during the academic year of 2017/2018 at the Student Union Gallery. We are looking for artists who can engage diverse audience and who fuel civic discourse. We embrace all subject matter and encourage the exploration of cultural, identity, and social issues. All genres and media are welcome, including but not limited to sculpture, photography, painting, fiber art, metalwork, installation and ephemeral works; all styles are welcome, from the traditional to the conceptual.
Before you begin, please take a moment to review the exhibition application FAQs located below. Have more questions? Contact email@example.com for details.
EXHIBITION APPLICATION FAQs
- Your contact information and names of all artists exhibiting
- Brief artist summary or curriculum vitae and artist statement
- Proposed exhibition information
- title and description
- 7-10 digital samples or sketches of your work, ready to submit as a single file OR 7-10 individual files (16 MB or less for all combined). The images you provide in your application give us a sample of what we can expect from your creative genius! If chosen, your final number of works CAN be more or than the samples provided! Just remember that you have a full gallery to work with!
- artwork list and details
- Calendar of your availability to exhibit
*Exhibiting as a group? Proposing work that is yet to be created? Sketches and samples of your work are acceptable too!
- We carefully review each application on its own merit and look for originality, quality, cohesiveness, and a distinct and passionate artistic point of view.
- We select applications for exhibition that are challenging, interesting, and inspiring of dialog and interaction from students, faculty, and community members who visit the Student Union.
- We give first preference to quality applications from current undergraduate and graduate students, followed by members of the Boise State (alumni, faculty and staff), then external community applicants.
- We consider additional factors including show size and scope (remember, you have an entire gallery to fill so be intentional in letting us know how your work will serve as the main attraction), timeliness with current events and issues on campus and in the community, as well as the availability of the applicant(s) to exhibit.
- We will consider all applications first which are submitted according to the priority deadline. Applicants submitting after the gallery deadline will be contacted only if there is a vacant space within the gallery and their work will be actively considered for exhibition.
The Student Union Exhibition series includes between 6 and 10 full exhibitions per academic year, and additional pop-up exhibitions.
Selected exhibitors will display their work as a solo or group-organized show in the Student Union Gallery on the second floor of the Student Union Building.
Remember, you have a whole gallery to work with!
The gallery footprint is included below to serve as a reference when you are planning your application. Feel free to visit the gallery space in person to envision how your work may appear within the space. Other spaces may be available for a “pop-up” style exhibition as available and identified by Student Union staff. A wide range of gallery equipment and display panels is provided to exhibitors, subject to availability and condition. Applicants selected for exhibition will meet with the Student Union staff to determine optimal configuration and to discuss equipment needs. Each exhibition will feature a vinyl exhibition title, to be designed, placed, and installed by university staff on the southwest entrance.
Pending availability and condition, a wide variety of standard gallery equipment is available to exhibitors within the Student Union Gallery, including:
Interlocking Display Panels
- QTY 14 | 96″ x 40″ carpeted panels (support 50 lbs each)
Pedestals and Acrylic Covers
- QTY 3 | 18″ x 18″ x 38″ pedestal base, optional 18″ x 18″ x 24″ acrylic cover
- QTY 3 | 16″ x 16″ x 36″ pedestal base, optional 16″ x 16″ x 22″ acrylic cover
- QTY 3 | 14″ x 14″ x 34″ pedestal base, optional 14″ x 14″ x 20″ acrylic cover
- QTY 4 | 3′ x 3′ x 2 1/2 ‘ pedestal base, optional 3′ x 3′ x 3’ acrylic cover
- QTY 1 | 31 ½” x 53 1/2 “ x 2 ¼”
- QTY 1 | 48” x 61” x 6”
- QTY 1 | 42” x 66” x 6”
- QTY 2 | 48” x 48” x 6”
- QTY 1 | 6’ x 3’ x 1’
Power, Audio, and Lighting
- QTY 6 | Electrical Outlets (includes one floor outlet)
- House sound speaker system access
- Track lighting system
- velcro, nails, screws, fishing line, and hanging wire within budget specifications
*Note: Exhibitions selected for pop-up exhibition will be subject to available equipment during the time of the exhibition. Specialized installation hardware not listed above is subject to approval by the Student Union and must be provided by the artist(s) at their own expense.
Upon accepting an offer to exhibit, artist(s) will agree to:
- Abide by university policies and guidelines for exhibitors during the exhibition process (from installation to exhibition and deinstallation)
- Communicate and consult regularly and professionally with Student Union staff about logistics for the exhibition and meet all deadlines for deliverables relating to the exhibition, installation, deinstallation, and promotion. If more than one artist is exhibiting together, one individual must serve as the point of contact.
- Provide artwork for the exhibition, which is ready to hang (no “L” nails) and be available for display during the entire exhibition duration.
- Provide any and all specialty installation components including specialty hardware and/or essential electronics which may be part of the exhibition, such as projectors, screens, etc.
- Provide an itemized list of selected artwork to include title, media, sale price, year completed, and Artist(s) name(s).*
- Provide up to 5 digital images representing the exhibition for promotional purposes.*
- Provide biographical information on the artist(s) and artwork for promotional purposes.*
- Arrange and pay for any/all delivery and transport of the artwork to and from the exhibition space in a timely, organized manner.*
- Return 40% of revenue from sales of any exhibition artwork during the exhibition period. A check should be made payable to Boise State University. Boise State University student artists who are actively enrolled during all or part of their exhibition period are exempt from this commission structure.
*The ARTIST(s) and Student Union designee will agree upon dates for the completion of above noted items.
Upon finalizing the offer to exhibitors to display work in the Student Union, the Student Union agrees to…
- Provide a designated exhibition time and location for the exhibition
- Communicate and consult regularly and professionally with the artist/exhibitor about logistics for the exhibition and meet all deadlines for deliverables relating to the exhibition, installation, deinstallation, and promotion.
- Develop, design, and execute a promotions plan for the exhibition within budget specifications (may include combination of digital advertising/email, social media, printing and mail campaign, public service announcement, and/or press release)
- Provide Student Union staff for installation, deinstallation, and standard maintenance
- Provide standard hardware for installation including velcro, nails, screws, fishing line, and hanging wire within budget specifications.
- Provide university insurance coverage for artwork selected for exhibition during installation, exhibition, and deinstallation. Insurance value may not exceed $500,000 per the University’s requirements.
- Develop, design, and have installed vinyl signage on the title wall in the gallery space
- Provide normal building security for the exhibition
- Coordinate a free and public reception in celebration of the exhibition, with budget and arrangements for catering from University Dining Services not to exceed $250 in value.
- Student Union staff will curate and install the exhibition, with consultation and support from the exhibitor.
- Student Union staff will light the exhibition, with consultation from the exhibitor.
- Selected artwork may not stain, damage, prohibit ingress and egress, or cause excessive audio disruption to the facility, equipment, or surrounding meeting rooms.
- Student Union staff will review installation methods of securing, hanging, and attaching any and all artwork. This may include an assessment of size, weight, and any specialty hardware intended for use during the exhibition process.
- Student Union staff may review and screen, prior to opening, any exhibition or part thereof that may be considered unsafe, inappropriate for public display, and/or in direct conflict with Boise State University’s shared values.
- Student Union will observe all ADA requirements for arrangement and museum display of artworks.
- Student Union staff may conduct maintenance in and around the exhibition space if determined necessary. It is our hope that any exhibition that may be on display at that time will not be affected. If the exhibition is affected to the point that it is deemed necessary to remove the exhibition, the Student Union will attempt to reschedule the exhibition at a time that works for both the Student Union and the ARTIST(s).
If you still have questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.